Thursday, April 27, 2006

Pre Crack Of Dawn Service

Two days ago it was ANZAC Day (yes I am a tad slow with the updates), and I decided that I would do something that I had never done and head off for the dawn service at the Cenotaph in Martins Place. (Now why is it that they call it the dawn service and in actual fact it is a long time before dawn? .. I actually know the answer to this .. so this is a rhetorical question).

We arrived at just before 5am and we could not get within 2 blocks of service. And at 5am they were well and truly already into the service and were at the last post and wrapping up with the anthems .. including a god save the Queen .. hmm. So it was a tad shame that we mostly missed it. But the atmosphere was still great. All those people, proud and patriotic about the sacrifice that our diggers have made. It was more a sense of pride for me than I ever felt on this years Australia Day.

Somehow by stealth I seem to have been caught up in the new tide of national feeling towards ANZAC day. I guess it all started for me when I headed off overseas and visited the battlefields of France in 2000 and then went to Gallipoli four years ago for the 25th of April. And now I have completed the Kokoda track and wandered around the war cemetery in Lae. On the horizon I am even contemplating hiking along the Thai-Burma railway later this year. Once I started visiting these battlefields I feel I should complete more of them. The funny thing is I don't know why I feel compelled to visit these places. It is obviously not because I just want to tick a box.

Anyway I took a few photos the other morning. I forgot to take a tripod so they are a tad blurry at the slow shutter speeds in the non-existent predawn light.

ANZAC_Day_01
The masses of people

ANZAC_Day_05
The Cenotaph

ANZAC_Day_07
Beer at 6am .. oh there were plenty of people in this pub

More up on my Flickr page.

No comments: